Thursday, January 20, 2011

Over The River And Through The Woods To The Cat Vet We Go

Our cats, Mark and Simon, were WAY overdue for a visit to the cat vet. That, and I had a few interview questions for her. So, we went off with the cats in their carriers, Simon making a terrible racket and being a cold wimp, and Mark being as heavy as always. The cats were totally healthy minus Mark's obesity...we got some extra-lite food for him and we'll work on getting him to 14 pounds.
Anyway, Dr. Weldon happily answered my questions. Here they are:
1. J: How long have you been a veterinarian?
Dr. Weldon: 14 years.
2. J: Why did you want to become a veterinarian?
Dr. Weldon: I have always loved animals and have always wanted to help them.
3. J: Although you could treat any other animals, why did you decide to only treat cats?
Dr. Weldon: Cats are my favorite animal, and I've had other animals but have preferred cats.
4. J: What college did you graduate from?
Dr. Weldon: Louisiana State University (LSU).
5. J: What's the strangest cat illness/injury you have treated?
Dr. Weldon: A cat caught in the fan belt of a car, and I have two cats who were born without the very edge of their eyelids.
6. J: How many cats have you had at the office (your cats) and/or at the at home at one time?
Dr Weldon: I normally have 6 cats at home, and I have one very shy office cat.
7. What's the busiest time of year for you?
Dr. Weldon: Springtime. The cats sometimes get fleas, and some cats suffer from allergies. Also, the males get in fights over mating.
8. How old is the oldest cat you have treated?
Dr. Weldon: 27 years old.
9. Do you believe in declawing?
Dr. Weldon: No. There's a 1 in 5 complication rate, it's basically like cutting off the last bit of your fingers...and cats that are declawed tend not to use the litter box.

1 comment:

  1. Those are great questions Julia. Can you imagine a 27 year old cat?! Holy cow that is old. So are you thinking about becoming an old cat lady/ cat vet? I know where I'll be brining Sammy and MIssy in that case. So here's my suggestion for Mark's obesity (btw I love how you say he was being heavy as always lol) try to figure out a way to put a collar and leash and tie it to the treadmill to get him to exercise a little :-)

    ReplyDelete